It is hardly possible to speak briefly about the history of the Institute of Aviation; the passion, dedication, knowledge and experience of its researchers. This history spans over 80 years of research when new visions were being created and heated discussions were taking place that gave shape to Polish aviation.
The strategy of the Institute of Aviation is to provide services in the global research market. The global research market means offering research services of the top quality, guaranteed by employing highly qualified staff, using certified procedures and accredited laboratories, and delivery times in line with the client’s expectations. It also means that works we undertake serve the purpose of developing new technologies, which is synonymous with being innovative. Being an active player in the global research market also means making available the know-how and experience of our researchers, acquired through continuous training and involvement in the Institute’s own research programme.
Since this strategy was adopted the Institute has seen an annual growth rate of 20% in the financial results and the number of researchers employed.
The Institute of Aviation consists of five research centres:
- The Materials and Structures Research Centre offers tests across a wide range of loads and temperatures. The centre is a leader in Poland owing to a significant number of certified test stands.
- The Center of New Technologies undertakes large innovative projects in collaboration with the EU partners. The centre specializes in two areas: light aviation and space research.
- The Center for Composite Technologies delivers composite technology solutions and composite material tests for aviation industry.
- The Center of Space Technologies conducts research in the field of aircraft propulsion, space technology, acquisition and data processing, adaptronics.
- The Engineering Design Center operates based on the strategic alliance with General Electric. The centre offers expertise and R&D services for jet aircraft engines and related areas.
The Institute’s activity in the global research market is visible through a number of international initiatives and efforts including:
- strategic alliance with General Electric,
- providing services UTC, MTU and Airbus,
- organising on an annual basis a number of large international conferences,
- membership in international organisations e.g. European Research Establishment of Aeronautics,
- undertaking efforts in order to recognize “ Provision of Services in The Global Research Market“ as Polish export speciality,
- undertaking efforts aimed at making light aviation a priority for the European Comission,
- signing and implementing The European Charter for Researchers and The Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researchers.
The researchers of the Institute of Aviation can publish their achievements, disseminate knowledge and promote the engineering profession through the publications including Transactions of The Institute of Aviation, Journal of KONES, Journal of Polish – American Science and Technology, Biblioteka Naukowa Instytutu Lotnictwa, Biblioteka Historyczna.
The Institute is also involved in conducting the nationwide programme for promoting the engineering profession, The Age of Engineers.
I encourage you to find out more about the Warsaw Institute of Aviation as a place of work of outstanding researchers, scientists and engineers and the cooperation opportunities we offer.
I am fully convinced that the cooperation opportunities as well as know-how and technology transfer to industry will become an inspiration and benefit for all present and future partners of the Institute of Aviation.
Professor Witold Wiśniowski, Ph.D. Eng