Royal Łazienki Park
1 Agrykoli St., ph. 022 621 62 41
The Royal Castle
4 Zamkowy Sq.
ph. 022 355 51 70
Ticket Reservation: ph. 022 355 52 66
52 Belwederska St.
ph. 022 849 48 39
Belvedere – name from It. “beautiful view”, erected first half 18th c. in Baroque style. Owned by King Stanisław August – who started faience works in north outbuilding, then Prince Józef Poniatowski. Remodelled in Neo-Classical style. Site of events in 1830 November Rising, HQ of J. Piłsudski 1918-1922, Presidential residence of G. Narutowicz and S. Wojciechowski, 1922-1926, then J. Piłsudski 1926-1935, becoming museum in his memory. Now a state-owned representative residence.
Museum Palace at Wilanów
10/16 St. Kostki Potockiego St.,
ph. 022 842 81 01
46/50 Krakowskie Przedmiecie St.
Main building from 1643-5, to design from C. Tencalli, for Great Crown Hetman S. Koniecpolski. Owned later by Lubomirskis and Radziwiłłs. Late-Baroque wings by A. Solari added 1738-1740, with Neo-Classical remodelling under C. Aigner 1818-1819. Seat of Vice-Regent Gen. Zajšczek. Used by Council of Ministers after rebuilding ’45 and witnessed Government-Solidarity “Round Table” Talks ’89. President of Poland’s residence since ’94.
Ujazdowski Castle Centre for Contemporary Art
2 Jazdów St.
ph. 022 628 12 71
13th c. site of wooden fort of Dukes of Mazovia. Stone castle raised c. 1620 by King Zygmunt III Waza, destroyed 1655 during Swedish invasion. Property of Great Crown Marshal S.H. Lubomirski from 1683, converted to royal res. by Stanisław August Poniatowski from 1766. Given to Warsaw 1784, housing barracks, then military hospital, then nursing school. Partially-destroyed Castle demolished 1954, with rebuilding starting ’75. Seat of Centre for Contemporary Art since ’81.
Jabłonowski Palace Teatralny Square
Former Warsaw City Hall – erected 1773-1785 to design from J. Fontana. Rebuilt and extended 1864-1869 after much 19th c. destruction. In Sep. ’39, S. Starzyński led civil defence of city from here. Burnt down during Uprising, demolished ’52, with rebuilding ’95-97 preceded by archaeological study discovering intact cellars.
72 Nowy wiat St.
Neoclassical, built 1820-1823 for Society of the Friends of Science, to design by A. Corazzi and with funding from Stanisław Staszic. Redeveloped as Russian school 2nd half of 19th c. Burnt out during Warsaw Uprising, it was rebuilt and extended ’47 – 49, serving as seat of Polish Academy of Sciences from ’52 on.